despite picking up two early fouls, sc

in Diamondcraft - Registration Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:08 am
by yyys123 • 1.785 Posts

Once again, Ricky Foley is chasing a hometown Grey Cup. The eight-year veteran defensive end is preparing for his first season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders some five months before Regina hosts the 2013 CFL championship game. Foley is very familiar with the challenges associated with winning the trophy at home, accomplishing the feat last year with the Toronto Argonauts. Toronto became the second straight CFL team to win the title as the host city after B.C. did so in 2011. The historic 100th Grey Cup was also special for Foley because family members from nearby Courtice, Ont., were on hand at Rogers Centre. He was named the games top Canadian. "Its really tough to beat because it was the 100th Grey Cup, there wont be another 100th Grey Cup, it was in my hometown with the hometown team and my family and friends were all there," Foley said Monday from the Riders camp in Saskatoon. "And while Im not looking in the past and this is a new chapter, the best thing I could do is add to it and win the Cup here. "That would be on par, for sure." Riders GM Brendan Taman has been busy this off-season, adding free agents Foley, linebacker Renauld Williams, defensive back Dwight Anderson and most recently defensive lineman John Chick. Taman has also acquired kicker Brody McKnight and hired former Hamilton coach George Cortez as offensive co-ordinator. But Tamans biggest move was landing slotback Geroy Simon from B.C. The 14-year veteran, already the leagues all-time receiving yards leader, needs just 29 catches to break Ben Cahoons career mark of 1,017. Hamstring issues limited Simon, 37, to just 54 catches for 700 yards and two TDs last season, the first time in 10 years he didnt crack the 1,000-yard plateau. A healthy Simon would certainly complement a solid receiving corps led by veteran slotback Weston Dressler, who had career highs of 94 catches, 1,206 yards and 13 TDs in 2012. But Foley, currently nursing an injured right oblique muscle, says talk now about Saskatchewan winning the Grey Cup is just that -- talk. "Theres definitely a sense of excitement around here with all the additions that have been made," Foley said. "As a veteran, I know you dont win the Grey Cup on paper and every team made moves in the off-season to put themselves in a position to win it. "But I think its known around the league what this team has done, the guys theyve brought in and what theyre trying to do and theyre making that push for the hometown Cup." Saskatchewan finished third in the West Division last season with an 8-10 record before dropping a 36-30 decision to Calgary in the conference semifinal. Defensively, the Riders were second overall in fewest points and yards allowed before the off-season addition of veterans Foley, Chick, Williams and Anderson. The six-foot-three, 258-pound Foley is chasing a third Grey Cup, earning his first with B.C. in 2006. Foley had a career-best 12 sacks with the Lions in 09 when he was named the CFLs top Canadian. Over three seasons in Toronto, Foley recorded a combined 10 sacks. Last year, he had 35 tackles and three sacks before adding four tackles and a sack in the Grey Cup. But in Toronto defensive co-ordinator Chris Joness scheme, Foley did more than just rush the passer. He was also required to sometimes drop back into pass coverage like an outside linebacker. "It ended up working and we won the Grey Cup so you cant argue with what we were asked to do," Foley said. "But at times it got frustrating because you felt you werent playing as well at linebacker as you were at defensive end. "Im coming here to do what I do best and thats get after the quarterback and be on the line of scrimmage. Thats not to say I wont be dropping back into coverage if its the gameplan for that week because there will be wrinkles in like that. But I think its going to be significantly different to what I did last year." Another difference, too, is the rabid support the Riders receive in Saskatchewan. The franchise averaged more than 32,000 fans per game last year, second only to Edmonton (34,378) while Torontos attendance was under 24,000 per game, second-worst in the CFL. "Argos fans are diehard fans, I think theyre on the same level as diehard Regina fans and can compete with them," Foley said. "The thing here, though, is there are so many diehard fans. I mean, were in Saskatoon and the stands are almost full for every practice ... it has a real NFL feel to it. "To Saskatchewan, this is the NFL whereas in Toronto the people there continue to search for the biggest, best thing. You look at the Blue Jays, they did a great marketing job, they had great off-season signings and there was a lot of hype and big crowds out there and now theyre not doing so well and it falls off and its on to the next hottest thing, whatever is in town." John Smoltz Jersey Large . According to a report from the Winnipeg Free Press, the Bombers will name Acting GM Kyle Walters to the post full time. Chris Martin Jersey . -- Washington Redskins tight end Fred Davis was charged Thursday with driving while intoxicated, a day after he was suspended for an NFL substance-abuse policy violation. http://www.custombravesjersey.com/custom-pedro-borbon-jr-jersey-large-547z.html .Y. - Rob Manfred was promoted Monday to Major League Baseballs chief operating officer, which may make him a candidate to succeed Bud Selig as commissioner. Babe Ruth Jersey Large .C. -- Calgarys Kevin Koe did it the hard way again. Orlando Cepeda Jersey Large . PETERSBURG, Fla. COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Sindarius Thornwell scored 22 points and South Carolina cruised to a 92-50 victory over South Carolina State on Friday night.Playing their fourth game in eight days, the Gamecocks (4-0) took control of the game early against their neighbors from nearby Orangeburg.It was good to see us playing active on the glass, at the rim, said USC coach Frank Martin. That was one thing I had been a little disappointed in with our team after the first three games. I didnt think we were rebounding the ball any where near as good as we needed to on either side of the floor.The Gamecocks held a 47-24 rebounding advantage with forwards Maik Kotsar and Chris Silva combining for 15 rebounds.The Bulldogs (1-2) attempted to press South Carolina early. The tactic didnt work, however, as the Gamecocks out-muscled their opponents inside while also making long-range jumpers.Kotsar got the Gamecocks off to a quick start, scoring eight of his 15 points in the first 10 minutes. After that Thornwell, a preseason first team All-SEC pick, took over. He had 16 in the first half.USCs lead consistently increased. It took a 50-25 advantage at halftime and didnt let up when it returned.The Gamecocks connected on 33 of their 65 shots (51 percent), while limiting South Carolina State to 16 of 52 (31 percent).South Carolinas pressure defense proved a bit too much for the Bulldogs.We pressured them, made them, made them try to score from half-court, said Thornwell. We didnt let them get into what they wanted to run. Its hard when you have to score from half-court rather than the 3-point line. Its better for our defense because it forced them into bad shots.Eric Eaves, a Columbia native, led South Carolina State in scoring with 16.The Gamecocks ability to push South Carolina State out of its comfort zone, offensively, was expected by Bulldogs coach Murray Garvin.The main stat that jumps out to me is the 30 second chance points, said Garvin.dddddddddddd South Carolina had more offensive rebounds, it was 17 to 8 on the offensive glass. I really thought the second chance points, also the points off turnovers, was the difference in the game.BIG PICTURESouth Carolina State: The Bulldogs never got on track, mostly due to inconsistent shooting. They connected on just 16 of 52 of their field goal attempts (31 percent).South Carolina: With most of their experience in the backcourt, the Gamecocks continued to work on improving their inside play. Kotsar was impressive, making all seven of his shots and grabbing eight rebounds with two blocks. Silva, despite picking up two early fouls, scored 11 points and pulled down seven rebounds.The game is not perfect, Martin said. You make mistakes. What you cant do is, when you make a mistake, give up on a play. I thought we were a lot more active today on the glass, defensively.STILL SEARCHINGSouth Carolina State has to find a way to get better shots for Eaves, its leading scorer. Although he led the Bulldogs, USC made it difficult. He was also the only regular that hit more than 50 percent if his shots.We told out basketball team thats what we expect this year, especially against the high major opponents, Garvin said. Theyre bigger, stronger, faster. Ive got a lot of new guys in our program and this is the second time theyve played against this kind of athleticism.South Carolina, to me, is one of the better defensive teams weve faced. It wasnt anything that surprised us. We just couldnt do anything about it.UP NEXTSouth Carolina State returns to action Tuesday when it travels north to take on Syracuse in another encounter that is part of the Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational.South Carolina hosts Michigan on Wednesday. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: adminonline
Board Statistics
The forum has 3497 topics and 4513 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen